Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Half Way to Memphis

So my last marathon blog was the day I started the program. I just happen to be at the half way point now with 8 weeks to go.

My weeks have consisted of shorter runs during the week with a long run on the weekends. I just added my swim and bike training back in this week. I'm going to keep them fairly low so I can continue to focus on the marathon.

My longest run was last weekend at 16 miles. Tomorrow however I have 18. I have run 18 once before so I know I can do it. During my long runs I've noticed that I don't start hurting or breaking down till about mile 14-15. With runs of 18, 20, 22, and 24 coming up I hope that my threshold will continue to push out further. Part of the pain has been the types of long runs that I have gone on.

I recently discoverd "Squires Long Runs". They were designed by Bill Squires who was a running coach in Boston. In 1979 four of his local non pro runners finished in the top 10 at the Boston Marathon. Here is the link(http://running.competitor.com/2010/09/training/workout-of-the-week-squires-long-run_12784) Anyway, Squires runs are long runs with speed intervals worked into the middle portion of your run. Here are what the workouts look like.
Week 1: 15:00 easy, 6 x [2:00 surge @ 5K effort/8:00 easy], 15:00 easy
Week 3: 25:00 easy, 6 x [4:00 surge @ 10K effort/6:00 easy], 25:00 easy
Week 5: 35:00 easy, 6 x [6:00 surge @ half marathon effort/4:00 easy], 35:00 easy
Week 7: 45:00 easy, 6 x [8:00 surge @ half marathon to marathon effort/2:00 easy], 45:00 easy
The runs are designed to teach your muscles to handle hard effort over a longer distance. it's one thing to do an interval workout at the track. It's another thing to do one during a 2 hour run! So far I have done the first three workouts and I'll be doing the last one in a week or so. These workouts make the run go by quicker because you are constantly watching your time and splits instead of just running aimlessly. On race day if something happens and I have to switch up pace I won't be worried about it because of the experience I have gained from these workouts. I know my body can handle a sub 7:30 pace at mile 15 and still be able to keep ticking along. Last year I would have called myself crazy. run fast and far in the same workout were beyond my abilities.

My goal is to constantly improve in my running career and now my triathlon career. At some point I want to race at the elite level. It's workouts like the Squires that will help get me there. I have also decided to try and give back with my racing. I spend so much time doing it that I thought there needs to be a bigger reason for all of this besides getting faster and setting personal records. My first step was to run as a St Jude Hero. It makes my marathon training more meaningful knowing that it is for a cause. After the marathon I will be getting involved with More Than Sport, morethansport.org, by sponsoring a child in Africa and trying to get others sponsored. I want to always run and race for a cause. In the end it's not about a time or a possible win, it'll be about whose life will be impacted.

For those of you who think I'm crazy for all the training, maybe this will help put it in perspective for you. I could only hope that I would motivate you to set your own goals and go out and reach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment