Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Road to the Marathon

Today I started my training program for my first marathon. it's an easy week considering my fitness is ahead of the training plan. I have three 4 mile runs and one 9 mile run to do this week. Nothing major so it should be a fun week.

Today was a 4 mile hill workout. i picked a pretty good route in my neighborhood which put one big climb inside of each mile and several rolling hills during the rest. I have a love hate relationship with hills. i like the benefit and strength you get from running them but they suck to run. i tried to focus on keep my pace consistent during the long climbs instead of slowing down as the hill wore on. for the most part i was successful with this. my breathing never really got to heavy and my heart rate recovered quickly after each hill. i have my splits listed below

Mile 1 8:22
Mile 2 8:13
Mile 3 8:16
Mile 4 7:58

I'm pretty happy with this workout. i was able to get back up to speed after each hill and never really felt weak or that i was fatiguing. i followed the run with a protein drink mixed with Base Performance Amino and some stretching.

until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment